For another warming classic that’s a staple with us all year-round, but especially in the winter, try our chicken pot pie! Adding a little garlicky heat adds a new dimension for a potentially bland roux.
Serves 4 (don’t judge us. We love pie and want this one to ourselves)
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 sliced leek
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup onions (we like Vidalia. Plain white ones are good here too)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup Spicy Garlic Saucey Sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup milk
2 unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine chicken, carrots, peas, and leeks. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- Cook onions in butter until soft. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in chicken broth, milk and Spicy Garlic Saucey Sauce. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Seriously, let it cool. The unburned roof of your mouth will thank you.