Is “healthy dessert” an oxymoron? Not with this recipe! Poached fruit is simple to prepare – and it can be topped with anything from yogurt (for a light breakfast) or chocolate (for a more decadent treat)
Adapted from Cook for your Life
4 Bosc pears of medium ripeness
4 tablespoons Brown Sugar Ginger Glaze Saucey Sauce
1/4 cup of water or white wine (we love a nice dry Riesling for this, but use whatever you have open!)
- Peel the pears, cut in half lengthwise, then core with teaspoon
- Arrange the pears in a circle inside a pan, cut sides up, thin ends towards center.
- Bring the Brown Sugar Ginger Glaze Saucey Sauce and water to a boil, then pour over the pears
- Cover the pan; over low heat gently poach until the pears are tender, about half an hour. After 15 minutes, flip pears and baste.
- Add sugar to taste, plus a little more water if the pears look dry. The syrup should be light, not thick and sticky.