Thanks to our super fan Matt Forbes @SoCalTuna We have an awesome new Octopus Salad recipe. Ever made octopus? Been wanting to try? Now is your chance!
1 whole fresh, cleaned octopus (remove beak if present) (approx 2-3 lbs, pre-cooked or frozen is fine too).
2 quarts Red Wine Vinegar
1 large carrot, washed
1 yellow onion
1/2 C Fresh Lemon Saucey Sauce
3 gloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 T capers (optional)
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/8 C extra virgin olive oil
2-3 C fresh parsley, chopped
2-3 C fresh cilantro, chopped
1 1/2 fresh lemons, juiced
4 servings of your favorite pasta, cooked (tortellini is great with this)
A. Cook the Octopus
- Add 2 quarts of water, red wine vinegar, peppercorns, carrot and onion to a large pot
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 40 minutes
- Remove octopus, place on dish and put in refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Drain pot and discard other ingredients
B. Make Salad (this can be done while cooking the octopus)
- In medium pot prepare pasta as directed
- Meanwhile, in large pot combine garlic, capers, red onion, salt, pepper and olive oil; stir well.
- Add parsley and cilantro to the pot. Squeeze lemons and toss all to coat
- Stir in cooked pasta
D. Cut Octopus
- Remove from refrigerator and cut into bite-size pieces.
- In a container add octopus and Saucey Sauce Fresh Lemon (or your favorite).
- Give it a good shake to evenly coat.
E. Combine All Ingredients
In large bowl mix everything together – and viola – a fresh octopus salad!