Photo Source: www.chefchuckscucina.blogspot.com
Irresistible Shrimp & Pea Risotto – this photo says it all – absolutely delightful!
5 cups of seafood stock
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped shallots or onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
1 1/2 cups arborio, carnaroli or other Italian “risotto” rice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dry white wine
1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp chopped (21-25 count)
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 cup finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
2 tablespoons chopped rinsed preserved lemon peel (optional)
1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Saucey Sauce
Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat so it remains steaming, but is not simmering.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add shallots (or onion) and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and saffron and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add rice and salt and stir to coat.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the hot stock and a generous splash of wine into the rice. Cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid has been absorbed. Continue to cook on medium-low, adding hot liquid in 1/2-cup increments followed by a splash of wine, and stirring frequently after each addition, until most of the liquid is absorbed. With your last addition, stir in shrimp and peas.
- Stir until the liquid is absorbed and the shrimp is just cooked through, about 4 minutes. The risotto is done when you’ve used all the hot liquid and wine and the rice is creamy and just tender, 25 to 35 minutes total.
- Remove from the heat; stir in 3/4 cup cheese, preserved lemon (if using), Fresh Lemon Saucey Sauce and pepper. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.